GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Insulating outside wall for an in-wall toilet

Khkiley | Posted in Building Code Questions on

Hello everyone,

I am considering a wall mounted toilet that has the tank in wall. This would be on an outside wall. I am located in New Jersey 20 minutes west of NYC. How much insulation is required to prevent the tank from freezing ?

The tank would be one stud bay away from an uninsulated steam pipe if that makes any difference, I suspect it won’t.

Thanks in advance,

Kurt

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Kurt,
    As a general rule of thumb, it's best not to include any plumbing in an exterior wall if you live in a climate with below-freezing temperatures.

If this is a new construction job, you should design your bathroom to be big enough to build a false (uninsulated) stud wall on the interior side of your insulated wall. The insulated wall should include an air barrier and adequate insulation to (at least) meet minimum code requirements, of course. Any needed plumbing can then be installed in this uninsulated stud wall which is located entirely on the interior side of your insulation and air barrier.

2. STEPHEN SHEEHY | | #2

I did more or less what Martin suggests. My house has double stud exterior walls. The tank for the toilet is inside the inner stud wall, separated from the outdoors by nine inches of cellulose and the air barrier.

3. Khkiley | | #3

Thanks Martin and Stephen.

Its a retrofit with existing 2x4 stud walls, 1928. Tiny powder room, trying to squeeze out every inch possible.

The double wall is probably the way to go.

Thanks again.

Kurt

4. rocket190 | | #4

Yeah, bad bad idea to put a toilet tank in an exterior wall. A flooded house isn't worth 4" of floor space.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |