GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

I am getting mixed info on spray foam insulation

fenn | Posted in Building Code Questions on

I am in Louisiana. I have gas heaters and water heater in the attic. Should I insulate the ceiling of the house (attic floor) or the rafter in the attic (attic ceiling) ?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #1

From an overall system and house efficiency point of view an unvented sealed & insulated attic is by far the better way to go when the mechanical systems are in the attic, but it's not as simple as that. If the gas-burners aren't power vented/direct vented there are make-up air issues that may be difficult to meet.

Since the gas burners represent an ignition source, any foam insulation installed up there (whether at the attic floor or the roof deck), needs to have a thermal barrier against ignition, such as half-inch wallboard or half-inch plywood or OSB.

If it's a simple roof design and the make up air issues become non-issues, it may be simpler, cheaper & better to install rigid foam polyiso insulation above the roof deck, and rock wool batts between the rafters, sealing up all venting.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |