GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What type of tape can I use around pex pipe?

Rocky12 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Hello,

I am looking for tape that I can wrap around my pex pipe, where they go through the studs. It get’s a bit chilly in the winters and want to protect from any potential condensation on the wood.

Pipe insulation is the obvious, but I would prefer to stay with smaller holes.. hence the tape.

I have read from several sources saying that heat tape should not be used on pex pipe, although I am not sure why.

Can a product such as pipe tape (see picture) be wrapped around the pipe (both hot and cold)?

Thank you for your time.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Rocky,
    If you are worried about condensation, you need pipe insulation, not tape. Buy some foam pipe insulation.

2. Rocky12 | | #2

Hi Martin,

I didn't mention, I will be using pipe insulation around the pex, but in the studs, I wanted to prevent that big of hole.

From one source: "No. You should not use any type of adhesive material on PEX pipe as over time the adhesive material can interact with the PEX and leech into your water. You can use a heating strip wrapped around the pipe so long as it has no adhesive material. If you live in an area prone to freezing you should still take precautions to protect your PEX pipe, such as foam wrap. (I work for a PEX pipe manufacturer.)"

I do have some extra sill sealer foam (that was used under my bottom plates. Think that would be ok?

3. NormanWB | | #3

Not an expert in these areas, but if you are running your pex between floors, you will probably be required to use a fire blocking foam or caulk.

When to fireblock
    According to the International Code Council, fireblocking is required in the following locations:

1. In concealed spaces of stud walls and partitions, including furred spaces and parallel rows of studs or staggered studs, as follows:

1.1. Vertically at the ceiling and floor levels.

1.2. Horizontally at intervals not exceeding 10 feet (3048 mm).

2. At all interconnections between concealed vertical and horizontal spaces such as occur at soffits, drop ceilings and cove ceilings.

3. In concealed spaces between stair stringers at the top and bottom of the run. Enclosed spaces under stairs shall comply with Section R302.7.

4. At openings around vents, pipes, ducts, cables and wires at ceiling and floor levels, with an approved material to resist the free passage of flame and products of combustion. The material filling this annular space shall not be required to meet the ASTM E136 requirements.

5. For the fireblocking of chimneys and fireplaces, see Section R1003.19.

6. Fireblocking of cornices of a two-family dwelling is required at the line of dwelling unit separation.

4. Rocky12 | | #4

Thanks Norman. Just one story.

By further research I found out you cannot use adhesive tapes on pex. But I was just confirming that something like foam sill sealer would be ok

5. NormanWB | | #5

Just use spray foam, then. I can't imagine enough condensation in that small area for a long enough time to create a problem worth worrying about.

6. Jon_R | | #6

I wonder if PEX-AL-PEX would provide complete impermeability to all chemicals?

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |