GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

gaps in cellulose insulation

GBA Editor | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I just had cellulose wet sprayed into a 2×6 wall cavity, on the corners and at interior wall intersections the insulation needed to be blown in from the side. I can slide my hand in the cavity and there are areas with no insulation and what insulation is there is low density. If I gently push on it it compresses and leaves an indentation. There are also a few 1/4 inch gaps at the top plate or under window sills. Is this standard quality? I tried shoving loose cellulose and fiberglass bats into the gaps, the loose cellulose seems to work the best, but I’m not sure if I might pack it to densely and do more harm than good. Is this the best way to fix this?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. HDendy | | #1

Sounds like a Grade III installation to me. I would call the installer back out to correct it. "Shoving" cellulose is better than compressing fiberglass (via shoving), but if you paid someone to do the job you shouldn't have to take it in your own hands.

2. will | | #2

I called the installer, they are going to send someone out to stuff cellulose into the gaps. Normally they batt the california corners before spraying, I guess it's one area fiberglass has an advantage in.

3. Armando Cobo | | #3

That's just a bad installation, shame on your installers. It has nothing to do with California Corners.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |