GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Insulating a basement

chrisjohnston2112 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I am considering insulating and finishing my basement. I live in a mixed humid climate. I plan to glue rigid foam insulation to the concrete walls, then frame up 2 x 4’s in front of that and put fiberglass insulation in the cavities, followed by drywall. My father in law thinks it would be better to glue the insulation to the wall and attach drywall directly to the insulation and wall using concrete screws. I’m worried about condensation on the screws. Any advice on this issue is appreciated.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Chris,
    Most people choose to include studs, if only to provide a place to run electrical wiring.

I don't like the idea of installing fiberglass batts in a basement. I prefer to see thicker foam and stud bays without any insulation at all -- just wiring.

2. user-788447 | | #2

Screwing through drywall - rigid foam - into concrete does not sound to me like a good idea.
    I think you would lose control where the drywall screws stop on the gypsum wall board and ensuring the seams of the drywall are flush. You would not know how badly the concrete spalds at times when a screw unsuccessfully catches the concrete.
    I agree with Martin and you could go down to a 2x3 stud wall or use metal stud framing.

3. jklingel | | #3

Martin: Is this a good place, in your opinion, for rock wool insulation, as well as the foam?

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

John,
    I don't have enough experience with rock wool to know how it works in a basement environment.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |