GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Closed-cell foam in stud cavities and Tuff-R on sheathing. This going to be a vapor barrier problem.

xEx2nU75TS | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

While residing my house I was planning on using Tuff-R over sheathing. Then in the next year or two I was going to spray closed-cell foam in the stud cavities later on. Or should I go open cell so moisture doesn’t get locked in?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

[For readers who don't know about the brand name that Michael is talking about, "Tuff-R" is a brand of polyisocyanurate rigid foam insulation.]

Michael,
    If you have rigid foam on the exterior of your walls, it's best to choose a vapor-permeable insulation for your stud cavities. That's why open-cell spray foam would, indeed, be a better choice than closed-cell spray foam in this application.

2. xEx2nU75TS | | #2

Thanks for the answer. Just wanted to double check. So if I want a higher r-value I would be better with no rigid on the outside on the outside and the closed-cell in the cavities.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Michael,
    The trouble with putting all of your insulation between your studs is that you still have a thermal penalty due to the thermal bridging through the studs.

My advice: if you want your wall to have a higher R-value, install a thicker layer of rigid foam insulation on the exterior of your wall.

4. xEx2nU75TS | | #4

So 3 layers of 1/2in tuff-r staggered with taped seams on all layers over outside wall and open cell foam would be a good choice. It would would put the condensation point outside the sheathing. Use 1x4 over foam as a rain screen for fiber cement siding. I live in Connecticut so the 1 1/2" should be enough.

5. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #5

Michael,
    Yes, that would work. Or you could save yourself some labor and just install 2 layers: one 1/2-inch layer and one 1-inch layer.

6. xEx2nU75TS | | #6

Thanks for the help. Now I have to review my window details to work with thats system. When I work with commercial systems we usually put 2x blocking around the frame of the window so the glaziers have a place to attach the window.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |