The "Adjustable Window Buck" Challenge

I have had this thought for some time, since delving into the 2nd rounds of the deep energy retrofit work here at NYSERDA. We know the work is important, we know it makes sense, and we know it costs a lot to do it. One of the lacking ingredients in the deep retrofit work is a “technical device” that people actually can see, since most of the work is just “brute force labor, good building science, and hard work”. One of the technical devices that I feel could help “propel” some of this work is a “dynamic, adjustable window buck”. I know that sounds corny, “you are whacked Greg!, are you getting enough sleep Greg?”, but yes I do think this is something that would be of value if created, made robust and a simple solution.

My challenge to you all, is look over the attachments (current practice vs. buck future), give it some thought and if nothing else, pass it along to some of your colleagues who may have inventive minds. If this is a possible solution, it might be something that could be embraced. I can “find” money to support something like this.

I’m not baring any funding for this just yet, but I wanted to “straw poll” my colleagues out there and see what you think. I have also forwarded some thoughts to Gary Nelson of Energy Conservatory, for it is his blower door frame in which I am basing the initial concept on, that could lead to a solution.

O.K., when you get done laughing at me, give this some thought and I’d love to hear from you.

Gregory A. Pedrick, C.E.M.
Project Manager Buildings R&D - NYSERDA

Window_buck future.jpg52.94 KB
Asked by gregory pedrick

1.

Hi Greg,

The recent GBA post about "Dudley Boxes" got me thinking about your adjustable buck post. They used all the same buck sizes and adjusted the interior trim to accommodate the different RO's. I realize this isn't quite what you're after, but a start maybe?

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/guest-blogs/window-instal...

Cheers,
John

Answered by John Rockwell

Rising power plant energy cost

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Terry Lee | Oct 15, 14

Thermal energy storage

In Green building techniques | Asked by Jim Pancanke | Oct 21, 14

Enclosed room on slab

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Jason Schatz | Oct 16, 14

“Air-sealed” can light retrofit vs. Tenmat cover in attic?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by andrew c | Jun 22, 14

What is the best ventilation system for a passive design cafe/restaurant?

In PassivHaus | Asked by monita taghva | Oct 20, 14