If you're interested in ASHRAE 62.2 and existing buildings, you should check out this email string

At ACI this year, I had the pleasure of meeting many members of a group known as the Trainers Consortium. Following a recent conference call, which I was unable to attend, an amazing email string appeared in my inbox. Barely able to keep up with the conversation, I felt that it deserved broader distribution as it covered some very important and interesting (at least to us geeks) topics. I have assembled the content and posted it on my website. Please enjoy the conversation an add your own thoughts. http://www.sevilleconsulting.com/news/2012/06/08/amazing-email-string-ab...

Asked by Carl Seville, GBA Advisor
Edited Fri, 06/08/2012 - 05:52

1.

Carl,
The claim that bothers me most is this one: "The benefits of controlling airflow [include] lower medical bills." There is absolutely no evidence for this.

Builders should NOT be making claims related to medicine and health; nor should energy consultants. These claims are unsupportable and raise liability concerns. Why on earth would any consultant want to make such a claim?

Here's my mantra: "If you have a medical problem or a medical question, talk to your doctor."

2.

Martin, I agree that building professionals should not be making medical claims, but although this discussion was made public, with the contributor's permission, it was just a discussion among professionals.

There is, however, some anecdotal evidence that the quality of the home can have an effect on occupant health. I also saw a study somewhere (it will take a while to find it) about high performance affordable housing that did come to some conclusions about tenant health in better air sealed units as compared to standard ones.

I have had personal experience with clients for whom I have renovated homes or consulted who told me that following the improvements their allergies were greatly diminished. So I don't think it's out of line for people to discuss these things in conversation.

Answered by Carl Seville, GBA Advisor
Edited Fri, 06/08/2012 - 09:08.

3.
Helpful? -4

on further reading I abstained yesterday. I just added my own - to the helpful Brooks.

Air quality, low ACH, mandates,, inspectors, ... Tough hill to climb, steep learning curve at this point. I think as someone somewhat mentioned, industry will produce our future solutions that work. And Panasonic or a similar company will do so with more automation, mote sensors and complete integration.

Most of us have dumb homes and smart phones. For now smart homes are about AV and remote control. Our ASHRAE 62.2 solution is to next add air quality sensors, fan and filter sensors, alert systems, and even self cleaning or changing filtering. Also the ability to shut down pollution sources like furnaces and water heaters or gas supplies, And lastly we should still be able to build homes that do not have low ACH to the point of needing power venting. Homes should all come with a build label at the front entry. Build date, codes compliesd with, and volluntary standards certified to such as LEED or PH or PGH ETC

Post subject to change. Add more - as I enjoy the laughs too.

Edited Sun, 06/10/2012 - 15:41.

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Noah Byler | Jul 23, 14
In Green building techniques | Asked by Troy Stevenson | May 7, 13
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Jeff Lever | Jul 29, 14
In Green products and materials | Asked by Mary Elzey | Jul 30, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by david chinn | Jul 27, 14