Proper thermostat programming for one room radiant heating?

This question is in regards to a one zone radiant floor and whether I am programming my thermostat correctly.

We have a high efficiency gas fired hot water baseboard system in all rooms save the bath. Here, our plumber installed a radiant system in the ceiling of the basement under a tile floor. We wanted a warm floor in the morning and evening when we take baths/showers.

I have a programable thermostat and have been setting it to go up to 72 degrees at 4:30 a.m. drop to 66 degrees at 7:30 (it will take time for the floor to cool), back up to 72 at 5:30pm and then down to 62 at 8 p.m. We keep the other baseboard system zone around 66 during the day and 62 at night.

I chose 72 degrees because anything less and the floors to not feel warm enough.

The house is a 5.5 room ranch and well insulated.

Asked by Jim Smith
Posted Nov 4, 2012 11:55 AM ET
Edited Nov 4, 2012 11:56 AM ET

1.

Jim,
This is a comfort question. There is no single answer.

As long as you are comfortable, everything is hunky-dory. If you are too hot, lower the thermostat setting. If you are too cold, dial it up.

Posted Nov 4, 2012 12:07 PM ET
Edited Nov 4, 2012 12:08 PM ET.

2.

Thanks Martin. I posted because I hear so much conflicting advice. Some say use a set back thermostat to save while other claim on radiant heat systems you should leave it at one setting.

Answered by Jim Smith
Posted Nov 4, 2012 4:43 PM ET

3.

Jim,
Here is an article that discusses your question, as well as a Q&A thread on the topic:

Should I Turn Down Radiant-Floor Heat at Night?

Night-time setback w/ radiant floor

Posted Nov 5, 2012 6:13 AM ET

Another crawl space in the Northwest

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by David Meyer | Nov 28, 16

How can homeowner find contractor to install rigid foam on top of roof sheathing?

In General questions | Asked by Rebekah Haworth | Dec 8, 16

Double interior rock wool

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by scott mangold | Dec 8, 16

Airflow around mini split compressor

In Mechanicals | Asked by matthias paustian | Dec 8, 16

We plan to use Obdyke Hydrogap between the Hardie board siding and the Zip wall

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Courtney McCracken | Dec 5, 16