Insulating a cathedral ceiling

I live in an early Lindell cedar kit home. I shan't go into the construction method but it is far from conventional. I need to add insulation and also re- roof. I was thinking of stripping the roofing and sheathing, laying down either 2x4 or 2x6 rafters, filling the bays with Thermax insulation, sheathing and re-roofing. My question is if the rafter bay is not completely filled do I absolutely have to vent the bays. I understand that the reflective coating of the Thermax is only effective when used with an air gap, but to vent the roof, because of the original construction method, would be a total pain in the behind. Any and all ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks ....Dave.

Asked by Dave Hodges
Posted Jan 17, 2013 7:27 PM ET
Edited Jan 17, 2013 8:04 PM ET

1.

Dave,
It makes sense to add rigid foam on top of your existing roof sheathing if you are re-roofing. You don't need ventilation channels, as long as you install enough foam. And you don't need 2x4 or 2x6 rafters -- all you need is a thick layer (or two layers) of rigid foam, followed by a layer of plywood on top of the foam.

As an alternative, you can use a product called nailbase. (Google it.)

More information here: How to Build an Insulated Cathedral Ceiling.

Posted Jan 17, 2013 7:49 PM ET

2.

I agree to what dave said you can use rigid foam for re-roofing and also the article given is very useful for us to understand how to build insulated cathedral ceiling.

Answered by Greg Pittman
Posted Jan 18, 2013 7:16 AM ET

Is there a standard factor General Contractors use when calculating their fee to construct

In General questions | Asked by scott schroeder | May 22, 15

Soundproofing Bedrooms

In General questions | Asked by Robert Car | Oct 15, 10

OSB versus Styrofoam

In General questions | Asked by Shane sims | May 22, 15

Dense-Pack Cellulose Cathedral Ceiling

In Green building techniques | Asked by Keith Richtman | Aug 14, 14

Is there an energy efficiency penalty for an oversized dehumidifier?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Alan B | May 22, 15