Insulating a cathedral ceiling

I live in an early Lindell cedar kit home. I shan't go into the construction method but it is far from conventional. I need to add insulation and also re- roof. I was thinking of stripping the roofing and sheathing, laying down either 2x4 or 2x6 rafters, filling the bays with Thermax insulation, sheathing and re-roofing. My question is if the rafter bay is not completely filled do I absolutely have to vent the bays. I understand that the reflective coating of the Thermax is only effective when used with an air gap, but to vent the roof, because of the original construction method, would be a total pain in the behind. Any and all ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks ....Dave.

Asked by Dave Hodges
Edited Thu, 01/17/2013 - 19:04

GreenBuildingAdvisor.com is currently in maintenance. During this maintenance it is not possible to change site content (like comments, pages and users).
1.

Dave,
It makes sense to add rigid foam on top of your existing roof sheathing if you are re-roofing. You don't need ventilation channels, as long as you install enough foam. And you don't need 2x4 or 2x6 rafters -- all you need is a thick layer (or two layers) of rigid foam, followed by a layer of plywood on top of the foam.

As an alternative, you can use a product called nailbase. (Google it.)

More information here: How to Build an Insulated Cathedral Ceiling.

2.

I agree to what dave said you can use rigid foam for re-roofing and also the article given is very useful for us to understand how to build insulated cathedral ceiling.

Answered by Greg Pittman

Does a flexible stainless steel chimney flue really need an insulation wrap?

In General questions | Asked by W. Timothy Ward | Jan 26, 15

Flooring questions

In General questions | Asked by sr kod | Jan 27, 15

Got cellulose insulation, how to fix the interior holes?

In Green building techniques | Asked by Alan B | Jan 22, 15

Roxul Comfort Board vs. Thermafiber RainBarrier

In Green products and materials | Asked by Caitanya Joy | Jan 23, 15

Double Staggered-Stud Wall vs. 2x3 + Foam Strip + 2x4 Wall

In Green building techniques | Asked by Jeff Cooper | Jan 23, 15