I want to add 2 inches of blue board to the addition I'm building. Will it cause moisture to build on the inside wall?

I live in central Maine on the coast. Some have warned the dew point will fall on the inside of the 2x6 wall and not dry out. Others have said it will dry out in the summertime if i use a breathable paint on the drywall so it can dry out that way.

My slab on the 1st floor is heated and insulated w/ blue board 2" on the sides and 4" on bottom. Please advise.
Perry

Asked by PERRY GREEN
Posted Jan 26, 2013 7:02 PM ET
Edited Jan 28, 2013 7:05 AM ET

1.

Perry,
I'm going to assume that the "blue board" you are talking about is extruded polystyrene insulation (XPS), and I'm going to assume that you are planning to install it on the exterior side of a 2x6 wall. Is that right?

You are located in climate zone 6. In your climate zone, any exterior rigid foam on a 2x6 wall needs a minimum R-value of R-11.25. Since 2 inches of XPS has an R-value of only R-10, your plan won't work.

You have two choices: switch to polyisocyanurate -- two inches of polyiso will give you the needed R-value -- or make your XPS thicker.

For more information, see Calculating the Minimum Thickness of Rigid Foam Sheathing.

Posted Jan 28, 2013 7:09 AM ET

2.

THANK YOU DAN. YOUR ASSUMPTIONS ARE CORRECT. IS THE REASON I NEED R-11.25 TO MAKE THE DEW POINT BE ON THE OUT SIDE OF THE STRUCTURE ? PERRY .

Answered by PERRY GREEN
Posted Jan 28, 2013 9:14 AM ET

3.

Perry,
Yes.

Posted Jan 28, 2013 9:36 AM ET

Exterior foil-faced polyiso question

In Green building techniques | Asked by Randy Mason | Mar 16, 15

Should I air seal and insulate above the ceiling of my attached garage?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Nathaniel G | Mar 30, 15

Two questions: Rigid foam in attic space

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Jeremy M | Mar 30, 15

Unvented slanted roof with radiant cooling and NO polyurethane in 4C

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Jan Verschuren | Mar 11, 15

New home buyer — metal roof in Maine with no sheathing

In General questions | Asked by dimitrios maniatakos | Mar 28, 15