GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

No garage floor insulation: What are the consequences?

Dane_G | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Let me be up front and say that I know I made the mistake, but I’m looking for possible solutions: I built a home and installed PEX tubing in the garage slab with the intention of having a radiant floor heating system. The slab is now poured and I DID NOT INSULATE under the slab.

While I know this is undisirable, I want to know if it is so bad that I should not continue with the radiant system. I could switch to gas heat for about the same cost as the remaining components for the radiant system, but i would still prefer the heated slab. I live in North Dakota, near the Canadian border, so it is very cold during the winter months.

Will it be more costly to get enough heat into the garage to have it warm than to run gas? Will it even get to temperature with no insulation under the garage?

Thanks,
Dane

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Dane,
    Big mistake. I wouldn't use the tubing to heat your garage.

If you ever want to heat the garage, you should install rigid foam on top of your existing slab, and then pour a new concrete slab on top of the foam. Abandon the PEX tubing.

Some people will probably advise you to salvage a partial solution to your current disaster by installing some vertical rigid foam around the perimeter of your slab. That's really not good enough, however -- not in North Dakota. You live in a worst-case climate, Dane.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |