Basement slab insulation

I am working on insulating my basement from the interior. I would like to install a 1" layer of EPS as shown in the Fine Homebuilding "The Stay-Dry, No-Mold Finished basement". At this point we are about to pour concrete around the perimeter of the basement where we installed a drain tile, as well as a new 10x10 slab in one corner of the basement. Is there a certain amount of time I need to let the new concrete cure before covering it with the EPS? If I have access to commercial polysio, is that ok for use over a basement slab?

Thanks for any feedback

Asked by Charles Chiampou
Posted Jun 6, 2014 6:12 PM ET

1.

Charles,
Your slab will continue to cure even if it is covered with rigid foam, so you can pursue your plan after just a few days, as long as you aren't encountering any problems with your TapCon fasteners.

Do you know whether your existing slab has polyethylene under it? Many older slabs don't. If I were you, I would stick with EPS or XPS in this location, in case the older slab ever got wet. Polyisocyanurate doesn't perform very well when it gets wet, and it won't have the same compressive strength as XPS or EPS.

Posted Jun 7, 2014 6:39 AM ET
Edited Jun 7, 2014 6:41 AM ET.

Draining the Mega-Footing

In General questions | Asked by Kevin Spellman | Oct 19, 17

Can we use a tin or other metal for a basement ceiling in a retail space?

In Building Code Questions | Asked by glassteacher | Oct 19, 17

Can we intersperse low e/high SHGC windows with standard low e on SE wall?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by bethanz | Oct 19, 17

Roof replacement concerns; weird airflow; increasing R-value

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Amz1323 | Oct 19, 17

Changing Function codes on Fujitsu Mini splits

In General questions | Asked by kjmass1 | Oct 19, 17