Basement slab insulation

I am working on insulating my basement from the interior. I would like to install a 1" layer of EPS as shown in the Fine Homebuilding "The Stay-Dry, No-Mold Finished basement". At this point we are about to pour concrete around the perimeter of the basement where we installed a drain tile, as well as a new 10x10 slab in one corner of the basement. Is there a certain amount of time I need to let the new concrete cure before covering it with the EPS? If I have access to commercial polysio, is that ok for use over a basement slab?

Thanks for any feedback

Asked by Charles Chiampou
Posted Jun 6, 2014 5:12 PM ET

1.

Charles,
Your slab will continue to cure even if it is covered with rigid foam, so you can pursue your plan after just a few days, as long as you aren't encountering any problems with your TapCon fasteners.

Do you know whether your existing slab has polyethylene under it? Many older slabs don't. If I were you, I would stick with EPS or XPS in this location, in case the older slab ever got wet. Polyisocyanurate doesn't perform very well when it gets wet, and it won't have the same compressive strength as XPS or EPS.

Posted Jun 7, 2014 5:39 AM ET
Edited Jun 7, 2014 5:41 AM ET.

1952 Cape Cod

In Plans Review | Asked by Emerson W | Dec 11, 17

Is it worth it to upgrade flex duct insulation if all ductwork will be buried in cellulose anyway?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by BuildingNewb | Dec 14, 17

Slab Edge Insulation and Termites in CZ 3A

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Norman Bunn | Dec 15, 17

Drain Water Heat Recovery

In Mechanicals | Asked by Norman Bunn | Dec 11, 17

Mitsubishi Heads and the I-see function

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Mike M | Dec 14, 17