Basement slab insulation

I am working on insulating my basement from the interior. I would like to install a 1" layer of EPS as shown in the Fine Homebuilding "The Stay-Dry, No-Mold Finished basement". At this point we are about to pour concrete around the perimeter of the basement where we installed a drain tile, as well as a new 10x10 slab in one corner of the basement. Is there a certain amount of time I need to let the new concrete cure before covering it with the EPS? If I have access to commercial polysio, is that ok for use over a basement slab?

Thanks for any feedback

Asked by Charles Chiampou
Posted Jun 6, 2014 5:12 PM ET

1.

Charles,
Your slab will continue to cure even if it is covered with rigid foam, so you can pursue your plan after just a few days, as long as you aren't encountering any problems with your TapCon fasteners.

Do you know whether your existing slab has polyethylene under it? Many older slabs don't. If I were you, I would stick with EPS or XPS in this location, in case the older slab ever got wet. Polyisocyanurate doesn't perform very well when it gets wet, and it won't have the same compressive strength as XPS or EPS.

Posted Jun 7, 2014 5:39 AM ET
Edited Jun 7, 2014 5:41 AM ET.

New house build, SIPs?

In Green products and materials | Asked by Lance Peters | Jan 15, 17

Passive house exterior door for reasonable price?

In Green products and materials | Asked by Matthew Michaud | Feb 4, 13

IPhone 4 4 White Deals

In Green building techniques | Asked by Emily Nesbit | Jan 16, 17

Microsoft Android and Exchange By Adrian Gates

In Green building techniques | Asked by Micheal Cadman | Jan 16, 17

does part of attic that covers deck need to be insulated to prevent frost buildup?

In General questions | Asked by Linda Walker | Jan 16, 17