Basement slab insulation

I am working on insulating my basement from the interior. I would like to install a 1" layer of EPS as shown in the Fine Homebuilding "The Stay-Dry, No-Mold Finished basement". At this point we are about to pour concrete around the perimeter of the basement where we installed a drain tile, as well as a new 10x10 slab in one corner of the basement. Is there a certain amount of time I need to let the new concrete cure before covering it with the EPS? If I have access to commercial polysio, is that ok for use over a basement slab?

Thanks for any feedback

Asked by Charles Chiampou

1.

Charles,
Your slab will continue to cure even if it is covered with rigid foam, so you can pursue your plan after just a few days, as long as you aren't encountering any problems with your TapCon fasteners.

Do you know whether your existing slab has polyethylene under it? Many older slabs don't. If I were you, I would stick with EPS or XPS in this location, in case the older slab ever got wet. Polyisocyanurate doesn't perform very well when it gets wet, and it won't have the same compressive strength as XPS or EPS.

Edited Sat, 06/07/2014 - 05:41.

Super insulating and soundproofing

In Green building techniques | Asked by Ryan Griffin | Nov 22, 14

Detail for stone veneer

In Green building techniques | Asked by Robert Holland | Nov 16, 14

Mid Roof Edge Vents / Ice Dams

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Robert Eaton | Nov 23, 14

Blower door testing by floor or room?

In PassivHaus | Asked by Ryan Griffin | Nov 21, 14

Help with Green Addition and hyrdonic heat demo

In Green building techniques | Asked by Michael McArdle | Nov 23, 14