Would replacing my gable-end vents with a full ridge vent increase stack effect cooling in the attic?

My attic currently has partial soffit vents and gable end vents. It also gets extremely hot due to the harsh New Mexico sun. When I get the roof re-done, would it be worth it to add a full ridge vent to increase the rising hot air's ability to escape from the attic? Or would the effect be minimal at best, especially if I'm replacing shingles with light-colored metal?

Asked by Nate G
Posted Jul 7, 2014 8:53 AM ET

1.

Nathaniel,
My vote is for answer #2: "minimal at best."

For a full explanation of the limited usefulness of attic venting, see All About Attic Venting.

If you are worried about heat gain through your ceiling, it makes more sense to install thick insulation on your attic floor than to worry about your attic temperature.

Posted Jul 7, 2014 9:33 AM ET

2.

Thanks Martin! Very informative article. It looks like what I already have may be better, since those two small gable vents are certainly smaller than the soffit vents, which is probably slightly pressurizing the attic already.

Answered by Nate G
Posted Jul 7, 2014 1:53 PM ET

Sealing and insulating hatchway to vented attic

In Green building techniques | Asked by David Martin | Feb 12, 16

Looking for rigid foam without flame retardant...Help!

In Green products and materials | Asked by Carolyn Farrow | Feb 14, 16

Rim Joist Insulation: No Wood Sill Plate - Influence on Rigid Foam

In Green products and materials | Asked by Scott Fillery | Feb 13, 16

Will an uncovered osb roof be okay for the winter?

In General questions | Asked by Jeremy DuCheny | Feb 14, 16

Where to find Energy Star floor plans?

In General questions | Asked by Billy Clontz | Feb 14, 16