Would replacing my gable-end vents with a full ridge vent increase stack effect cooling in the attic?

My attic currently has partial soffit vents and gable end vents. It also gets extremely hot due to the harsh New Mexico sun. When I get the roof re-done, would it be worth it to add a full ridge vent to increase the rising hot air's ability to escape from the attic? Or would the effect be minimal at best, especially if I'm replacing shingles with light-colored metal?

Asked by Nate G
Posted Jul 7, 2014 9:53 AM ET

My vote is for answer #2: "minimal at best."

For a full explanation of the limited usefulness of attic venting, see All About Attic Venting.

If you are worried about heat gain through your ceiling, it makes more sense to install thick insulation on your attic floor than to worry about your attic temperature.

Posted Jul 7, 2014 10:33 AM ET

Thanks Martin! Very informative article. It looks like what I already have may be better, since those two small gable vents are certainly smaller than the soffit vents, which is probably slightly pressurizing the attic already.

Answered by Nate G
Posted Jul 7, 2014 2:53 PM ET

ERV with HEPA filtration options

In Mechanicals | Asked by m4tr1x | Mar 20, 18

Insulating block walls

In GBA Pro help | Asked by man of steele | Mar 20, 18

Taping of Roof Sheathing / Wall to Ceiling Vapor Barriers

In Green building techniques | Asked by Steve Mackay | Mar 21, 18

Brick Ledge help with Rigid Foam Over CMU

In General questions | Asked by Wayne321 | Mar 20, 18

Ideal window depth to minimize window perimeter thermal bridging through frame

In Green building techniques | Asked by user-7038920 | Mar 21, 18