Would replacing my gable-end vents with a full ridge vent increase stack effect cooling in the attic?

My attic currently has partial soffit vents and gable end vents. It also gets extremely hot due to the harsh New Mexico sun. When I get the roof re-done, would it be worth it to add a full ridge vent to increase the rising hot air's ability to escape from the attic? Or would the effect be minimal at best, especially if I'm replacing shingles with light-colored metal?

Asked by Nate G
Posted Jul 7, 2014 9:53 AM ET

1.

Nathaniel,
My vote is for answer #2: "minimal at best."

For a full explanation of the limited usefulness of attic venting, see All About Attic Venting.

If you are worried about heat gain through your ceiling, it makes more sense to install thick insulation on your attic floor than to worry about your attic temperature.

Posted Jul 7, 2014 10:33 AM ET

2.

Thanks Martin! Very informative article. It looks like what I already have may be better, since those two small gable vents are certainly smaller than the soffit vents, which is probably slightly pressurizing the attic already.

Answered by Nate G
Posted Jul 7, 2014 2:53 PM ET

Need help with our ductwork decision

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Blake Lasslett | Jul 29, 16

Double wall opening detail

In General questions | Asked by David Chapman | Jul 29, 16

Interior vapor barrier

In General questions | Asked by Phette Place | Jul 29, 16

Which way should the polyiso foil face when installing over drywall?

In Green building techniques | Asked by Michael Bluejay | Jul 30, 16

Insulating stud wall crawlspace with rigid foam

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by David Bump | Jul 29, 16