Would replacing my gable-end vents with a full ridge vent increase stack effect cooling in the attic?

My attic currently has partial soffit vents and gable end vents. It also gets extremely hot due to the harsh New Mexico sun. When I get the roof re-done, would it be worth it to add a full ridge vent to increase the rising hot air's ability to escape from the attic? Or would the effect be minimal at best, especially if I'm replacing shingles with light-colored metal?

Asked by Nathaniel G

1.

Nathaniel,
My vote is for answer #2: "minimal at best."

For a full explanation of the limited usefulness of attic venting, see All About Attic Venting.

If you are worried about heat gain through your ceiling, it makes more sense to install thick insulation on your attic floor than to worry about your attic temperature.

2.

Thanks Martin! Very informative article. It looks like what I already have may be better, since those two small gable vents are certainly smaller than the soffit vents, which is probably slightly pressurizing the attic already.

Answered by Nathaniel G

Brands of HRV?

In Mechanicals | Asked by stephen sheehy | Nov 17, 14

Spray foam insulation

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Danny Mac | Nov 17, 14

How To Make Your Product The Ferrari Of 6 Seconds Abs

In Project management | Asked by Evelyn Greville | Nov 26, 14

Most sesible heating system for a new house build on Vancouver Island

In Mechanicals | Asked by Blake Klopfenstein | Nov 26, 14

How to fix an attempted insulation retrofit on a '70s cathedral ceiling?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Gregory Erickson | Dec 16, 13