Would replacing my gable-end vents with a full ridge vent increase stack effect cooling in the attic?

My attic currently has partial soffit vents and gable end vents. It also gets extremely hot due to the harsh New Mexico sun. When I get the roof re-done, would it be worth it to add a full ridge vent to increase the rising hot air's ability to escape from the attic? Or would the effect be minimal at best, especially if I'm replacing shingles with light-colored metal?

Asked by Nathaniel G
Posted Jul 7, 2014 8:53 AM ET

1.

Nathaniel,
My vote is for answer #2: "minimal at best."

For a full explanation of the limited usefulness of attic venting, see All About Attic Venting.

If you are worried about heat gain through your ceiling, it makes more sense to install thick insulation on your attic floor than to worry about your attic temperature.

Posted Jul 7, 2014 9:33 AM ET

2.

Thanks Martin! Very informative article. It looks like what I already have may be better, since those two small gable vents are certainly smaller than the soffit vents, which is probably slightly pressurizing the attic already.

Answered by Nathaniel G
Posted Jul 7, 2014 1:53 PM ET

How can I super insulate, air seal, and vent this space?

In Green building techniques | Asked by stephen edge | Mar 5, 15

Insulation around a center chimney -- cape?

In General questions | Asked by stephen edge | Mar 4, 15

Plans Review with a few questions

In Plans Review | Asked by Michael Geoghegan | Feb 4, 15

I am overwhelmed with the wall cavity options and need advice.

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Andrew Bennett | Mar 4, 15

24" oc Rainscreen furring concerns

In General questions | Asked by RMills Miller | Mar 4, 15