Would replacing my gable-end vents with a full ridge vent increase stack effect cooling in the attic?

My attic currently has partial soffit vents and gable end vents. It also gets extremely hot due to the harsh New Mexico sun. When I get the roof re-done, would it be worth it to add a full ridge vent to increase the rising hot air's ability to escape from the attic? Or would the effect be minimal at best, especially if I'm replacing shingles with light-colored metal?

Asked by iLikeDirt
Posted Jul 7, 2014 8:53 AM ET

1.

Nathaniel,
My vote is for answer #2: "minimal at best."

For a full explanation of the limited usefulness of attic venting, see All About Attic Venting.

If you are worried about heat gain through your ceiling, it makes more sense to install thick insulation on your attic floor than to worry about your attic temperature.

Answered by user-756436
Posted Jul 7, 2014 9:33 AM ET

2.

Thanks Martin! Very informative article. It looks like what I already have may be better, since those two small gable vents are certainly smaller than the soffit vents, which is probably slightly pressurizing the attic already.

Answered by iLikeDirt
Posted Jul 7, 2014 1:53 PM ET

How to insulate a cathedral ceiling from within the rafter bays

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Terry Sharpe | Feb 24, 17

Homemade walk-in cooler

In General questions | Asked by Matthew Ervin | Feb 25, 17

How to insulate a shipping container home?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by N/A N/A | Feb 24, 17

Basic HVAC concepts/design

In Mechanicals | Asked by Rebecca Borton | Feb 25, 17

Integrating Ducted Mini-Split with HRV

In Mechanicals | Asked by John Brown | Feb 25, 17