Would replacing my gable-end vents with a full ridge vent increase stack effect cooling in the attic?

My attic currently has partial soffit vents and gable end vents. It also gets extremely hot due to the harsh New Mexico sun. When I get the roof re-done, would it be worth it to add a full ridge vent to increase the rising hot air's ability to escape from the attic? Or would the effect be minimal at best, especially if I'm replacing shingles with light-colored metal?

Asked by Nathaniel G

1.

Nathaniel,
My vote is for answer #2: "minimal at best."

For a full explanation of the limited usefulness of attic venting, see All About Attic Venting.

If you are worried about heat gain through your ceiling, it makes more sense to install thick insulation on your attic floor than to worry about your attic temperature.

2.

Thanks Martin! Very informative article. It looks like what I already have may be better, since those two small gable vents are certainly smaller than the soffit vents, which is probably slightly pressurizing the attic already.

Answered by Nathaniel G

The differences between mass and insulation

In Green products and materials | Asked by Nathaniel G | Sep 15, 14

Metal building office Insulating

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by William Sauder | Sep 18, 14

Where Did Vestibules Go?

In General questions | Asked by Malcolm Taylor | Sep 18, 14

Air and moisture proofing.

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Dave B | Sep 18, 14

Thoughts on Insulating Renovation

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Dave Bentley | Sep 18, 14