Would replacing my gable-end vents with a full ridge vent increase stack effect cooling in the attic?

My attic currently has partial soffit vents and gable end vents. It also gets extremely hot due to the harsh New Mexico sun. When I get the roof re-done, would it be worth it to add a full ridge vent to increase the rising hot air's ability to escape from the attic? Or would the effect be minimal at best, especially if I'm replacing shingles with light-colored metal?

Asked by Nate G
Posted Jul 7, 2014 9:53 AM ET

1.

Nathaniel,
My vote is for answer #2: "minimal at best."

For a full explanation of the limited usefulness of attic venting, see All About Attic Venting.

If you are worried about heat gain through your ceiling, it makes more sense to install thick insulation on your attic floor than to worry about your attic temperature.

Posted Jul 7, 2014 10:33 AM ET

2.

Thanks Martin! Very informative article. It looks like what I already have may be better, since those two small gable vents are certainly smaller than the soffit vents, which is probably slightly pressurizing the attic already.

Answered by Nate G
Posted Jul 7, 2014 2:53 PM ET

How to Encapsulate Brick Veneer Crawl Space

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Nate Wofford | Sep 27, 16

Use poly with Roxul (on ceiling)?

In General questions | Asked by Lonnie Sullivan | Sep 26, 16

Quest for EPS

In Green products and materials | Asked by Daniel F. Vellone | Sep 20, 16

Does anyone use the wifi controllers on their mini splits?

In Green products and materials | Asked by Clay Whitenack | Sep 26, 16