Would replacing my gable-end vents with a full ridge vent increase stack effect cooling in the attic?

My attic currently has partial soffit vents and gable end vents. It also gets extremely hot due to the harsh New Mexico sun. When I get the roof re-done, would it be worth it to add a full ridge vent to increase the rising hot air's ability to escape from the attic? Or would the effect be minimal at best, especially if I'm replacing shingles with light-colored metal?

Asked by Nathaniel G

1.

Nathaniel,
My vote is for answer #2: "minimal at best."

For a full explanation of the limited usefulness of attic venting, see All About Attic Venting.

If you are worried about heat gain through your ceiling, it makes more sense to install thick insulation on your attic floor than to worry about your attic temperature.

2.

Thanks Martin! Very informative article. It looks like what I already have may be better, since those two small gable vents are certainly smaller than the soffit vents, which is probably slightly pressurizing the attic already.

Answered by Nathaniel G

In Interior design | Asked by SCOTT KOONS | Jul 23, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Noah Byler | Jul 23, 14
In General questions | Asked by Don Moore | Jul 23, 14
In Building Code Questions | Asked by MARK ALATORRE | Jul 23, 14
In General questions | Asked by Zane Morgan | Jul 23, 14