Would replacing my gable-end vents with a full ridge vent increase stack effect cooling in the attic?

My attic currently has partial soffit vents and gable end vents. It also gets extremely hot due to the harsh New Mexico sun. When I get the roof re-done, would it be worth it to add a full ridge vent to increase the rising hot air's ability to escape from the attic? Or would the effect be minimal at best, especially if I'm replacing shingles with light-colored metal?

Asked by Nathaniel G

1.

Nathaniel,
My vote is for answer #2: "minimal at best."

For a full explanation of the limited usefulness of attic venting, see All About Attic Venting.

If you are worried about heat gain through your ceiling, it makes more sense to install thick insulation on your attic floor than to worry about your attic temperature.

2.

Thanks Martin! Very informative article. It looks like what I already have may be better, since those two small gable vents are certainly smaller than the soffit vents, which is probably slightly pressurizing the attic already.

Answered by Nathaniel G

Closed crawlspace with dehumidifier and foundation insulation

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Michael Geoghegan | Oct 27, 14

A very low addition...

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by ron letourneau | Oct 29, 14

Radon mitigation or ERV for old home with dirt wall basement

In General questions | Asked by Scott Van Der Veer | Oct 30, 14

Drywall directly on stem wall

In General questions | Asked by Tom Frisch | Oct 30, 14

Foam Insulation Question For 100 Year Old Brick Home

In Green building techniques | Asked by Wes Leland | Oct 30, 14