Helpful? 0

Interior air sealing tape

Hello, I'm in the USA and currently constructing a two story addition. I have 14 windows and 2 doors already installed and I'm looking for the best way to air seal them on the interior. What interior air sealing tapes are available that would be used to air seal the rough opening gap on the windows? I've done a lot of searching and can't seem to find many options. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Posted Wed, 07/16/2014 - 20:46


8 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

Most everyone I know uses spay foam. Builders hire their insulators for a seal package, which includes polyseal around the big rough openings of windows, doors and walls, and caulking around the plates and corners.
DIYs buy can foam at the hardware store. Dow makes Great Stuff. There are several products in their website for different applications, plus they have videos for you to watch. Good luck.

Answered by Armando Cobo
Posted Wed, 07/16/2014 - 22:04

Helpful? 0

More reliable than foam and more precise in the install process and finish; here are the top performer for air sealing:

Answered by flitch plate
Posted Wed, 07/16/2014 - 23:42

Helpful? 0

Flitch gave you good advice about 475 High Performance Building Supply. It is one source of high-quality tapes, including tapes suitable for sealing interior gaps around windows.

The other good source for this type of product is Small Planet Workshop.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Thu, 07/17/2014 - 03:51

Helpful? 0

Armando, I've already foamed the gap. I'd like to add caulk or tape or both, to make sure there's no air coming in. It's an 8 window/ 1 door room, so I'd like to make sure the openings are nice and tight.

Flitch, thank you for the link, I'm looking at it now.

For Martin and Flitch, is the Unitape suitable for sealing the interior around windows/doors? I've looked at the siga corvum tape at small planet workshop and was hoping there was a cheaper alternative. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

I also forgot to ask, what kind of caulk is best to seal the gap as well. Thank you

Answered by SCOTT KOONS
Posted Thu, 07/17/2014 - 05:47
Edited Thu, 07/17/2014 - 05:49.

Helpful? 0

I've never used Unitape.

Siga tapes from Small Planet Workshop and Pro Clima tapes from 475 are excellent products. Both lines have very good reputations.

If you don't like the price of European tapes, you can supplement your spray foam with a silicone or polyurethane caulk.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Thu, 07/17/2014 - 07:37

Helpful? 0

Thank you for the info Martin. I appreciate it. Would anyone have specific caulk recommendations?

Answered by SCOTT KOONS
Posted Thu, 07/17/2014 - 15:29
Edited Thu, 07/17/2014 - 15:52.

Helpful? 0

Hi Scott - after our rough openings were foamed we then used Prosoco Airdam from small planet workshop. Easy to apply and provides a great air seal.

Answered by Jonah Griffith
Posted Fri, 07/18/2014 - 00:08

Helpful? 0

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Answered by SCOTT KOONS
Posted Fri, 07/18/2014 - 05:28

Other Questions in Energy efficiency and durability

Wet OSB - how much water can it take?

In General questions | Asked by colleen1 runyen | Dec 17, 14

Mechanical room size

In Mechanicals | Asked by Corey B | Dec 20, 14

Meanwhile at BSC ... PHIUS draft standard

In General questions | Asked by Jin Kazama | Dec 12, 14

Quarter Round on Rammed Earth

In Green building techniques | Asked by Terry Lee | Dec 18, 14

Is this furnace venting/leaking problem as bad as it looks?

In Mechanicals | Asked by Nathaniel G | Dec 20, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!