Interior air sealing tape

Hello, I'm in the USA and currently constructing a two story addition. I have 14 windows and 2 doors already installed and I'm looking for the best way to air seal them on the interior. What interior air sealing tapes are available that would be used to air seal the rough opening gap on the windows? I've done a lot of searching and can't seem to find many options. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Asked by SCOTT KOONS
Posted Jul 16, 2014 8:46 PM ET

1.

Most everyone I know uses spay foam. Builders hire their insulators for a seal package, which includes polyseal around the big rough openings of windows, doors and walls, and caulking around the plates and corners.
DIYs buy can foam at the hardware store. Dow makes Great Stuff. There are several products in their website for different applications, plus they have videos for you to watch. Good luck. http://greatstuff.dow.com/products/

Answered by Armando Cobo
Posted Jul 16, 2014 10:04 PM ET

2.

More reliable than foam and more precise in the install process and finish; here are the top performer for air sealing:

http://foursevenfive.com/product-category/air-sealing-system/exterior-in...

Answered by flitch plate
Posted Jul 16, 2014 11:42 PM ET

3.

Scott,
Flitch gave you good advice about 475 High Performance Building Supply. It is one source of high-quality tapes, including tapes suitable for sealing interior gaps around windows.

The other good source for this type of product is Small Planet Workshop.

Posted Jul 17, 2014 3:51 AM ET

4.

Armando, I've already foamed the gap. I'd like to add caulk or tape or both, to make sure there's no air coming in. It's an 8 window/ 1 door room, so I'd like to make sure the openings are nice and tight.

Flitch, thank you for the link, I'm looking at it now.

For Martin and Flitch, is the Unitape suitable for sealing the interior around windows/doors? I've looked at the siga corvum tape at small planet workshop and was hoping there was a cheaper alternative. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

I also forgot to ask, what kind of caulk is best to seal the gap as well. Thank you

Answered by SCOTT KOONS
Posted Jul 17, 2014 5:47 AM ET
Edited Jul 17, 2014 5:49 AM ET.

5.

Scott,
I've never used Unitape.

Siga tapes from Small Planet Workshop and Pro Clima tapes from 475 are excellent products. Both lines have very good reputations.

If you don't like the price of European tapes, you can supplement your spray foam with a silicone or polyurethane caulk.

Posted Jul 17, 2014 7:37 AM ET

6.

Thank you for the info Martin. I appreciate it. Would anyone have specific caulk recommendations?

Answered by SCOTT KOONS
Posted Jul 17, 2014 3:29 PM ET
Edited Jul 17, 2014 3:52 PM ET.

7.

Hi Scott - after our rough openings were foamed we then used Prosoco Airdam from small planet workshop. Easy to apply and provides a great air seal.

Answered by Jonah Griffith
Posted Jul 18, 2014 12:08 AM ET

8.

Jonah,
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Answered by SCOTT KOONS
Posted Jul 18, 2014 5:28 AM ET

Off-label use for open cell Iso foam?

In Green products and materials | Asked by Leslie Divoll | Feb 12, 16

Will minisplits work in all floor plans?

In General questions | Asked by Clay Whitenack | Jul 20, 15

Roof clips

In General questions | Asked by Quinton Bryant | Feb 11, 16

What is the best way to install floating laminate over basement slab?

In Green building techniques | Asked by Carolyn Farrow | Feb 13, 16

Insulating an attic furnace room

In General questions | Asked by Patrick Finn | Oct 15, 14