GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Windows yes, but what about doors?

kloopster | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I was wondering if doors in the US are also rated like windows (at least in europe) for air leakage, etc?

Any tips on reasonably priced (maybe to much to wish for) exterior door manufacturers that do a good job on air sealing their units?

I build in Northern Zone 3.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Leo,
    In theory, the National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC) rates exterior doors as well as windows. The NFRC label includes a rating for air leakage. For more information, see:

Energy Performance Ratings for Windows, Doors, and Skylights

Independently Tested and Certified Energy Performance

In practice, I'm not sure whether (a) the air leakage rating on an NFRC door label is voluntary or mandatory, or (b) whether there is a good online table showing the air leakage ratings of exterior doors from a variety of manufacturers.

Can any GBA readers provide help on this issue?

2. jinmtvt | | #2

Can any GBA readers provide help on this issue? +1

3. charlie_sullivan | | #3

My conclusion after trying to shop for doors recently was that the decisions that matter the most for how well it seals, assuming you get a decent quality unit, are:
    1) Getting a multi-point lock. It's very hard to know just how much that helps, but it seems to help both in that it provides more uniform pressure to the seals, and that it draws the door in a bit as it latches.
    2) Careful installation, without warping anything.

What tipped the balance between different manufacturers for me was that Jeld-Wen uses graphite-enhanced EPS insulation which has similar R-value to polyurethane foams that are usually used, but without the severe blowing-agent global warming impact of the typical polyurethane foams.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |