GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

We ran into a few deep uninsulated roof channels

Scot69 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Too little to have a cellulose sub. Are you better off packing them full with pieces of fiberglass batts, or risking air movement by sliding a loose batt down? What is the R factor of hand-packed fiberglass? Thanks.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #1

I'd need a better description to advise on the best remedy. When you say "uninsulated roof channels", are you referring to an ventilated insulated roof deck (insulation between rafters, with a small 1-2" ventilation gap between the insulation and the roof deck)?

With fiberglass, in general the R per inch goes up with density, thin spots/ compressions and gap rob quite a bit of performance.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Robert,
    Like Dana, I'm confused by your description. Are you insulating between your rafters? What sort of access do you have?

I'm not sure what "hand-packed fiberglass" is, but the R-value of well-installed fiberglass ranges from about R-3.0 to R-3.8 per inch.

3. Scot69 | | #3

We had 3 foot opening in a 8 foot deep rafter bay, we ended up sliding a osb panel with 1.5 inch standouts down the opening in pieces, stuffing fb batts in to raise panels to sheathing. Is the r value still there after packing it in that hard. Thanks

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Robert,
    I guess the answer depends on how hard you packed it.

5. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #5

As long as there are no voids from bunching & rolling, the compressed batt will have a higher R per inch than an uncompressed batt. If you packed it in with a hammer so that it was 3x as dense as the normal installed density it will be somewhat lower R.

For instance an R19 batt installed at 5.5" thickness performs at about R18, or R3.27/inch.

If you pack it into a 3.5" deep cavity it performs at R13, or R3.7/inch.

If you pack it into a 2.5" cavity (a 2x3 nominal depth) it runs R10, or R4/inch. That's more than twice the density, but much higher R/inch.

You have to really pack it pretty hard to give it a lower R per inch, but the total depth & density will determine how it performs as-installed.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |