GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

About insulation

laufer | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I am building a one-story house in Ghana with an aluminium roof.
I want to insulate this house in order to prevent the heat outside from coming inside.
I intend to install a plasterboard ceiling.

My question is: Should I install the insulation under the roofing sheets or above the ceiling?

Thanks.
Amnon Laufer

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Amnon,
    Either way will work, but it's usually easier to insulate above the plasterboard ceiling rather than along the sloping roof.

However, the answer depends in part on (a) what type of insulation materials are available in Ghana, and (b) whether you will be using the space above the plasterboard (the attic) as living space.

2. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #2

With a shiny aluminum roof you will get more performance out of the insulation if there is at least 2" of air gap between the aluminum and insulation, with enough slope and ventilation area that the air in the gap will convect when the air heats up, pulling cooler outdoor air into the gap.

The low emissivity of the aluminum reduces the amount of heat transferred directly to the insulation layer to something much lower that if it were in direct contact with the insulation.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |