Weeping Siding

My family and I purchased a house last year in southern Maine. Over the past couple of weeks, we've had some significant snowfall followed by warmer than usual temperatures. I recently noticed that across the back of the house there are a couple spots where a rust-colored water is weeping out from beneath 5 to 6 courses of wooden clapboard siding close to where the exterior wall meets the roof. I also notice some staining along the soffit vent (photo attached). I haven't been able to get a ladder up to inspect closely, but where it is low enough the stained droplets have a "candy shell" finish (smooth and hard).

I'm wondering if there is any probable cause that immediately jumps out? I obviously have a problem, but was hoping for some guidance as to where to direct my initial efforts. My initial thought was possibly an ice dam that is causing water to intrude in the soffit and behind the siding, but it's difficult to check because there is no attic space adjacent to that portion of the home (i.e., cathedral ceiling).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

IMG_0430.JPG403.07 KB
IMG_0431.JPG869.11 KB
IMG_0433.JPG631.4 KB
Asked by Todd Bridgeo
Posted Feb 24, 2017 2:23 PM ET

1.

Todd,
This could be evidence of an ice dam -- water can enter the wall assembly that way at the top of the wall.

Or you may have an ice build-up in your roof assembly (due to escaping indoor air that encounters a cold surface) and the ice build-up might now be melting due to warmer temperatures.

-- Martin Holladay

Posted Feb 24, 2017 2:37 PM ET