GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Sharing the radon stack

dsmcn | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

I have a 4″ PVC stack going from below the slab and through the roof to provide passive ventilation of radon from below the slab (potential radon—not yet measured). Is there any reason I can’t tie into it with the bathroom ventilation duct? I like minimizing roof penetrations.

The duct would tie to a Y that points upward; between that, the draft created by the stack itself, and the damper on the fan, I see no risk of ozone entering the house. Any problems?

Thanks.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-2310254 | | #1

So what happens if you have to add a vent fan to your radon system? Then you'll be depressurizing your home 24/7.

There are probably code issues as well.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

David,
    Steve accurately identified the two relevant issues: (1) Your plan would violate plumbing codes, and (2) Your plan would make it impossible to convert your passive radon mitigation system into an active radon mitigation system.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |