GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Should I add batts or loose fill above a 2 foot dropped ceiing?

JohnnyLough | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

I have a 100+ year old 4-square house with 2 courses of brick for walls. I’m planning on adding rigid foam to the exterior which will extend up to the eaves and the level of the original attic floor.

I’m planning to go to R-40 on the original attic flooring, but I’d like to keep the 2 ft. cavity created by the dropped ceiling accessible. Would it help to add batts or fill between the joists of the lower ceiling? Would any moisture problems be created between the two ceilings?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

John,
    Before you add any insulation to your attic floor, it's essential that you perform air sealing work. The old ceiling (not the new dropped ceiling) should be your air barrier. All of your insulation should go on top of your air barrier.

It's usually very hard to make a dropped ceiling airtight. That's why all of your insulation should go above the older ceiling.

For more information, see Air Sealing an Attic.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |