GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Do I need to use concrete screws for plywood over an insulated floor?

rerskine | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

i am following your advice on using XPS on concrete basement floor followed by two layers of 1/2 inch plywood. My concrete floor is 15 yrs old will I have trouble with concrete screws in older concrete? Can I just fasten the second layer to the first layer of plywood or can I use adhesive on the first layer or do I need the concrete screws?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #1

"Can I just fasten the second layer to the first layer of plywood "

Yes you can float the subfloor. Stagger the joints and use adhesive + screws.

2. Dana1 | | #2

Concrete screws work in concrete of any vintage. Be sure to vacuum out the drilling debris/dust before installing the screws in a slab to keep the screw from bottoming out on the loose (now compresssed) material.

3. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #3

Depends on the concrete. Old slabs tend to spall or have problems with pull out strength. Sinking that many screws in a slab, old or new, is an awful job. I'd leave well enough alone.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |