GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Spray foam my ridge vents and soffits closed?

Overhaulin | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

Okay so I am investigating spray foam insulation for my garage. The most recent company I spoke with gave me a quote but also asked if I had a ridge vent. I said yes. They said they would also spray the vent closed because spray foam creates another atmosphere and we would not need it. Another atmosphere??

I don’t understand why you would want to get rid of the ridge vent. Can someone shed some light on this topic, I am in the dark.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Joe,
    You didn't tell us where you plan to install the spray foam insulation.

If you plan to install the spray foam insulation on the underside of the roof sheathing of an existing building, then your spray foam contractor is correct. This type of insulation job creates an unvented roof assembly. You certainly don't want any air leaks at the ridge.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |