GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Insulating attic rafters

lifeguide | Posted in General Questions on

I’m looking for some advice on the proper method to insulate attic rafters. We moved to the mid Atlantic a year and a half ago. Our home is a two story colonial with a vented walk up attic. After experiencing the seasons in our new home. We’ve come to the determination that we need to somehow condition our attic space. Due to the ceiling only being 6’3″ the entire length of the house, we realize that the space cannot be livable (lesson learned). It currently has a ridge vent and screened vents on each end of the house. There are no soffit vents. I’ve priced spray foam -$6000. We def don’t want to spend that for a space that won’t be livable. Is this even feasible? Our goal is for our storage to not experience the extremes both winter and summer bring. I’m hoping to do the work myself. I’ve found the internet to have a myriad of conclusions from not even attempting it to spending $75000 to raise the roof. Help!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Here are links to two articles that should answer all your questions:

Creating a Conditioned Attic

How to Build an Insulated Cathedral Ceiling

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |