GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Airtight electrical boxes in masonry house?

davorradman | Posted in General Questions on

Do I need to use airtight electrical boxes on a masonry/concrete house?

Cement plaster will be my interior airtight layer, but people are telling me that wall itself is airtight enough not to warrant the search for airtight electrical boxes.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Davor,
    I'm guessing that you don't need airtight electrical boxes. But it would be helpful if you described the type of insulation you are using, and its location.

-- Martin Holladay

2. davorradman | | #2

Insulation is exterior EPS 8-10in.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Davor,
    You'll be fine with ordinary electrical boxes. Potential air leak locations include penetrations through the wall (electrical cable entrance location, electrical cable to outdoor outlets and outdoor light fixtures, plumbing penetrations to hose bibs, etc.) and the crack between the wall air barrier (probably your interior plaster) and the ceiling air barrier.

-- Martin Holladay

4. davorradman | | #4

Thanks Martin!

One less detail to worry about :)

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |