Spray foam application in neighbors’ home

We live in a new construction neighborhood, and the home being built next door is about ready to have insulation installed. The homeowners next door have elected to use spray foam insulation. Based on my research on this product when our construction was ongoing, I recall that there are dangers in exposure to this product until it is cured (we ended up just using fiberglass batts, mostly because the builder charged an extra fee for the spray foam).

Does anyone know if I should have any concerns with this being done next door while me or my children are in or around our home? Although I found plenty of information about not entering a building until this stuff is cured, I couldn't find anything about outdoor exposure during the process. Any thoughts appreciated.

Asked by Brian Jackson
Posted Dec 7, 2017 6:06 PM ET
Edited Dec 8, 2017 4:59 AM ET

1.

The dilution factor of outdoor air is, well....gia-normous. Don't let your kids play IN the house under construction while it's being insulated and you'll be fine.

Spray polyurethane foam is often retrofitted in occupied homes without creating acute problems for those living there, but it's prudent to be elsewhere when the foam is being applied (unless you are using the requisite protective clothing & equipment) and air out the home during and immediately afterward with high ventilation rates (like open windows for several hours.

Posted Dec 7, 2017 6:32 PM ET

2.

Brian,
I agree with Dana. Don't worry.

Posted Dec 8, 2017 5:07 AM ET