GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Combined permabilty of 1″ unfaced (expanded) EPS and 3/4″ extruded?

GBA Editor | Posted in General Questions on

I am residing a 30 year old house in North Jersey. In order to match the exisiting house I need to add about 1 and 3/4 inch filler over the 1/2 plywood sheathing to some exterior walls before reinstalling vinyl siding.

Over the 1/2 plywood, I have been using using 1 inch unfaced expanded poly (i remove the plastic backer as I dont know if that is permiable) then use 3/4 extruded poly (I punch about 100 nail holes first to ensure it breaths)

THere is no vapor barrier inside other than standard r 11 fraft faced insulation

So my questions are,

1-do I have enought permabilty to prevent any condensation / mold issues?

2-Do I need to perforate the Extruded Poly

3-is it necessary to remove the clear film on the expanded poly?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Ken,
    The combined R-value for 1 inch of EPS and 3/4 inch of XPS is about R-7.7. In climate zone 5, where you live, all you need is R-5 or greater to take away any worries about condensation in your wall cavities. Obviously, your wall cavities can dry to the interior.

You're making a mistake to punch holes in your foam sheathing. Put away the 16-penny nails and stop abusing a perfectly good building material. If you want to remove the plastic film on your EPS, go ahead.

2. Riversong | | #2

To prevent mold and other moisture problems, it's more important to control indoor relative humidity. Kraft facing is a vapor barrier (class 2, less than 1 perm), and plywood and XPS are also about 1 perm. So your wall system will restrict vapor diffusion and allow some minimal drying in each direction. Preventing exfiltration of warm winter air or infiltration of humid summer air are more important than the vapor permeance of the assembly.

I agree with Martin - there's no need to punch holes in the XPS. It really won't change the vapor permeance unless more than 50% of the area is holes.

3. Ken Gilbert | | #3

Thank you gentlemen. This helps

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |