How to make galvanized metal roofing look distressed

We would like to re-use some old metal roofing as house siding and for small horse barns. How do we remove the color and make it look distressed, like old western tin roofing/siding? Thank You.

Asked by Anonymous
Posted May 18, 2010 1:41 AM ET

1.

Barbara,
Just be patient. Wait about 50 years, and it will look just right.

Or, if you're in a hurry, you can always buy brand-new roofing that is pre-rusted:
http://www.rustedmetalroofing.com/

It's just like shopping for jeans with the holes already ripped in them! There's no accounting for taste ....

Posted May 18, 2010 6:11 AM ET

2.

The movie industry in NM removes the zinc coating of galvanized roofing with hydrochloric or phosphoric acid (common fertilizer); then neutralize it with ammonia and oxidize it with bleach. Some folks try vinegar & salt to remove the zinc coating, but are not as good as acids and take longer, or a good old method is an elbow grease using fine pumice or brushes. Ware protective gear when working with acids. Also, I’m sure you’ve received emails about the rust “qualities” of Coca-Cola, how knows, you may patent a new method. :-))
You could spend some money with chemical products like: http://www.modernmastersinc.com/products.aspx?pl=ME

Answered by Armando Cobo
Posted May 18, 2010 11:26 AM ET

3.

Gosh, I thought I was on a really great site. You folks are pretty mean, especially you Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor. Thank goodness you're not looking to live in Montana, stay where you are.

Answered by BARBARA CHRIST
Posted May 18, 2010 12:07 PM ET

4.

Thank you ARMANDO COBO for the link to the Modern Masters site. It's a wealth of information and I appreciate your information.

Answered by BARBARA CHRIST
Posted May 18, 2010 12:36 PM ET

5.

Armadno and Barbara,
Thanks, Armando, for the excellent advice. I'm sorry if my attempts at humor fell flat. I'm glad that Armando came through with the right answer.

Posted May 18, 2010 12:45 PM ET