GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

New roof/siding smell/odor. Is it unhealthy?

PWfJN2tnfi | Posted in General Questions on

We got our new roof (architectural shingle)and siding installed two yeras back and after that a strong odor started coming on the main level, esp when you come from outside you smell the fumes/smell , more during summers. This was done by a storm chaser roofing contractor who probably sub contracted this job, they have changed roof of almost every other home. I am worried that the job was not done properly with poor material etc and thus the odor..I am worried about the health of my family. Have you heard anything about such health problems due to bad roofing/siding?? What can we do to fix this problem? Pl advice.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    Michael Maines | | #1

Rjocky jocky,

Is it a chemical/plastic/asphalt kind of smell or a rotten eggs kind of smell?

What kind of siding do you have?

What did the roofers use for underlayment?

Where are you located?

Do you run an air conditioner in the summer or do you open the windows?

2. PWfJN2tnfi | | #2

Hi,
    It is a chemical kind of smell not rotten eggs type. It's vinyl siding. Not sure abt the underlayment but vaguely remember some water ice shield. I am in DC metro area. We run AC at 75 degree F thermostat setting. Thanks

3. Expert Member
    Michael Maines | | #3

It's probably nothing to do with the siding then, and not a broken stack pipe. How old is the house, what was the old roofing, and is/was the roof vented at the ridge or soffit? Is the attic finished?

4. PWfJN2tnfi | | #4

House is 15+ old, it was asphalt only, i guess the roof is vented, there's an attic,not finished i think. Thanks

5. Expert Member
    Michael Maines | | #5

Have you replaced any interior finishes such as carpeting or vinyl flooring?

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |