GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Hardwood floor underlayment options

jroy | Posted in General Questions on

I recently picked up some hardwood flooring(3/4″ x 2 1/4″) & noticed that a product called insulayment proports to insulate and act as a air barrier when used under the flooring. Is this a bit of a reach or is this a better option than red rosin or tar paper? I live in Massachusetts.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

John,
    Are you installing the hardwood flooring over an unconditioned space? In other words, is this a bonus room over a garage or a cantilevered bay or a house on piers? Because if you are installing the hardwood on a floor with a conditioned room below, you don't need insulation.

2. jroy | | #2

I have flooring going into two areas, one above a garage (that has 18" of cellulose installed between the floor trusses below), and on a first floor area that has R30 (fiberglass batts) between floor joists over a crawlspace.
    I didn't see a need for anything more than rosin paper for the same reasons your articulate in your response above Martin.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

John,
    Needless to say, you still need an air barrier. As long as you aren't depending on your rosin paper to be your air barrier, you'll be fine.

4. jroy | | #4

Martin
    I have always used either rosin or #15 felt for underlayment under solid wood flooring, what would you prescribe for a air barrier material?

5. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #5

John,
    For a bonus room floor over a garage, the easiest air barrier would be spray foam at the rim joist, and carefully detailed drywall with airtight electrical boxes for the garage ceiling.

6. Danny Kelly | | #6

We moved from felt to Aquabar a few years ago. Since the majority of our homes down here arebuilt on crawlspaces, it seems to have limited the amount of buckling/raised edges on our floors. Does not act as an air barrier nor add insulation value though - strictly moisture control:
    http://www.fortifiber.com/aquabar_b.html

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |