Basement next-day headache stumper
I've hesitated to ask this question because I don't know how weird the thread will get ... but what the heck.
I've recently been spending more time in the basement. I've been typically finding that the next day--not the same day--I feel headachey, knotted, sore, vaguely ill, etc. While we can't possibly solve for all the unknowns here and I'm not asking for medical advice here, my best guess is that there's something in my basement. Maybe I'm wrong, but maybe not.
However, I'm stumped on what I'd mitigate.
Here's what I don't think the problems are:
1) Mold: To the best of my knowledge, I don't have a moisture problem in my basement. I've never noticed water, signs of mold, etc. This is the only suggestion that I'm getting from Google searches, but I don't buy it.
2) Radon: I've done a radon test, but that wouldn't result in next day headaches. I do have foundation cracks to seal, but radon, if it were entering, wouldn't seem related to this specific response.
3) Icynene & other spray foam: it's not installed. There's canned foam sprayed here and there, but not in prodigious quantity.
4) Carbon monoxide: I have a properly-working CO tester sitting down here and there's no detectable CO.
5) Lack of fresh air: A forum participant recently visited and looked over my HVAC, and confirmed that there's actually a fresh-air intake running from the outdoors into my ductwork. Energy penalty noted, but regardless, in any case there is fresh air....
Here are two maybes I can think of:
6) Sewer gas: I've smelled occasional faint sewer gas and have since refilled any traps. I don't smell sewer gas recently, yet the headaches and soreness are still occurring next-day.
7) A bit of OSB off-gassing: Under a year ago, I installed a small amount of OSB (~70sf) floating on XPS in one room, and who knows, maybe there's some amount of off-gassing that I can't smell. No idea.
8+) any other educated guesses?
Hopefully this forum might have some bright ideas to share. Thanks in advance for your insight.
Posted Thu, 07/26/2012 - 16:08
Edited Fri, 07/27/2012 - 07:01
Other Questions in General questions