Is it OK to add a stone veneer on the interior side of a basement wall?

I was wondering if there would be any moisture concerns with adding decorative stone veneer to the interior of a basement wall. The basment wall is poured concrete and 2x4 construction with open cell spray foam and drywall. The width of the stone wall would be about 5' wide. I know the open cell foam will allow for vapor diffusion, I know it important not to use vapor retarding paint to allow moisture to escape. Would adding a stone veneer acts as a vapor retarder and cause moisture concerns, or would the veneer allow vapor diffusion, or would the amount of moisture be small enough a concern?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Ed

Asked by ed1313
Posted Jan 17, 2013 6:10 PM ET

1.

Ed,
As long as your basement doesn't have any water-entry problems, and as long as your foam insulation meets the minimum R-value requirements of the building code, you should be OK.

I would remove the drywall, however, and substitute cementitious backerboard, which is more resistant to moisture, before installing the stone veneer.

Answered by user-756436
Posted Jan 17, 2013 6:52 PM ET