GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How to insulate the ceiling/roof?

rkthomas13 | Posted in General Questions on

I have a chalet-style house in Virginia which needs insulation. Built about 1970 as a Linden model, it is hard to heat in the winter. We installed a propane fireplace to help the heat pumps in the two stories plus basement. Summers are not such a problem because the surrounding trees give shade.

These houses have no attic. The second story ceiling is about 10′ on a good slope. Exterior walls are tongue in groove and interior walls are cedar. I am replacing all the windows, but the roof is the worst problem. The frame on these types is tied to the roof, so it can not just be changed at will. It can only support modest additional weight.

i had thought of spraying solid core foam 4″ over the existing ceiling. This would add R24 to whatever is there now, maybe R19. That would damage the look but help with the heat loss, I hope.
Does anyone have any experience with such a situation?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Robert,
    To summarize, you have a cathedral ceiling that you suspect is poorly insulated and perhaps leaky. The ceiling consists of cedar boards. You don't mention whether the roof assembly is vented or unvented.

Your suggested solution is unusual, but it would work. Your only challenge is coming up with a way to attach a new ceiling; that will probably require attaching 2x4s or 2x6s to your ceiling before the foam is sprayed.

Most people who wanted to insulate the interior of a cathedral ceiling would use one or two layers of rigid foam with carefully taped seams rather than spray foam.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |