GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Question RE: Installing polyiso around a stovepipe

NBABUCKS1 | Posted in General Questions on

I am doing a weatherization project on my house where I am installing polyisocyanurate below the ceiling rafters. I have an existing stove pipe and chimney in place for the fireplace that came with the house. I want to get rid of the fireplace and install a wood stove. The existing stovepipe/chimney are double walled and I think the interior pipe is 6″ (not sure) and the exterior is 10″ or 12″ (unsure on that too).

What specials precautions must I take to install the polyiso around the stovepipe?

The polyiso is 14 feet above where the top of the stove would be.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Kevin,
    You should follow the recommendations of the manufacturer of the metal chimney. Look for a manufacturer's name on visible parts.

Most chimney manufacturers have installation instructions that can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website. For example, here are the instructions for SuperPro chimneys. Superpro requires that installers use an "attic insulation shield" to maintain a 2-inch clearance between any insulation and the outer wall of the chimney.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |