GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Insulating basement?

gerardp | Posted in General Questions on

hello all, today i wuold lke to ask about insulating my concrete basement walls and the ceiling above it..just to add the foundation has tar on the outside as a water sealer & thats it…i read much about closed cell foam spray..sounds great but in climate zone 6A nyc were begining the fall season and i.m concerned about temperature change. my walls are allready framed with wood 2×4’s.. this pevented me from useing poly insulated boards. so i was considering R-13 encapsulated batts between the wall studs.i read up on it and seems like its mold.moisture proof has a vapor barrier and i dont need to worry about temp. when applying..
the othr question was insulating the ceiling…2×10 are the size of my ceiling joist…
last to say the rim joist are allready insulated with R-30 with the paper side faceing the joists..
thnks so much

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Jerry,
    Start here: How to Insulate a Basement Wall.

It's too bad that there are already 2x4s installed against your concrete wall. You'll probably want to remove the 2x4s so that you can first install rigid foam against the concrete.

2. gerardp | | #2

OOPS wrong section

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |