High levels of carbon dioxide in house
My house has high levels of CO2 / carbon dioxide, every room is between 1100 ppm to 1200 ppm according to an air quality test I had. There are only 2 grown occupants and it's a 1000 sq. ft. brick house. No pets or plants, gas stove / furnace / water heater.
The basement was the only area that had between 900-1,000 ppm of CO2. I've read ASHRAE likes to see under 1000 ppm of CO2. We do have headaches & drowsiness but aren't sure if it's strictly from CO2. For reference, our CO (carbon monoxide) numbers were all under 2 ppm.
According to an energy audit, the house is 0.32 NACH, so I believe that is pretty airtight. There is no mechanical ventilation aside from a bathroom exhaust fan.
I've read that more occupants = more CO2, and poor ventilation can also lead to more CO2 levels (as compared to the outdoors). How would a building pro decide if the levels are high due to low ventilation, or if perhaps there is some source of CO2 within the house aside from the occupants?
I am questioning if it is purely occupancy & low ventilation because rooms that we aren't in as frequently had higher levels of CO2 than our bedroom. Do people commonly monitor CO2 levels within the home?
Posted Sun, 03/09/2014 - 15:21
Edited Mon, 03/10/2014 - 05:04
Other Questions in General questions