Tankless water heater with a geothermal unit?

I am purchasing a house with a geothermal heating and cooling unit already installed, but I would like to make my house more energy efficient. I was thinking about replacing my current water heater with a tankless electric one as my house is not serviced with gas. I am, however, not sure if the two systems would be compatible or if it would even be wise since my Geothermal is run into my hot water heater.

Any advice would be helpful as I am a first time homeowner, and want to be as responsible as possible.

Asked by Marc Sinclair
Edited Wed, 04/02/2014 - 12:57

1.

Marc,
It sounds like your ground-source heat pump system (sometimes called a geothermal system) is equipped with a desuperheater. That means that your system is providing hot water during the summer months at a very low cost (assuming that your house is air conditioned). I don't think that a tankless electric water heater would be a wise investment, since the efficiency of the tankless water heater would be lower than that of your desuperheater.

2.

Marc, you have already the most efficient set up. You can save some right now by just using mostly cold water. Your internet connection is costing you far more, to save money small homes, no cell phone, over the air TV...or no TV... will save you much much more.

Your hot water costs are close to the least expensive bill you pay.

Edited Wed, 04/02/2014 - 13:12.