GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

L shaped building/gable roof

alpenrose | Posted in General Questions on

I have been told that a home that is L shaped is much more expensive to build than if the extra space was just included in primary rectangle–no”L” The reason I was given is that the cost of joining the roofs is too expensive. Can someone give me an example of what the additional percentage might be? Thank you

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Anne,
    It really isn't possible to come up with the percentage you seek, because the upcharge for a complicated shape depends on the specific characteristics of your lot, the shape of the building you are considering, and your local labor rates. Suffice it to say that the upcharge doesn't just come from "joining the roofs." Everything costs more for an L-shaped building than a rectangular building -- from the foundation to the wall framing to the roof trusses to the roof flashing.

Here's something to ponder -- a fact that is more important than the initial cost of construction: a rectangular building without bump-outs will cost less to heat and cool than an L-shaped building, and is therefore more green. For more information, see Green Building for Beginners.

2. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #2

Anne,
    For the benefits of a bit more articulated house shape, see the "A house for Slow living" Blog on the GBA front page.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |