Helpful? 0

L shaped building/gable roof

I have been told that a home that is L shaped is much more expensive to build than if the extra space was just included in primary rectangle--no"L" The reason I was given is that the cost of joining the roofs is too expensive. Can someone give me an example of what the additional percentage might be? Thank you

Asked by Anne Lee
Posted Mon, 07/07/2014 - 17:16

Tags:

2 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

Anne,
It really isn't possible to come up with the percentage you seek, because the upcharge for a complicated shape depends on the specific characteristics of your lot, the shape of the building you are considering, and your local labor rates. Suffice it to say that the upcharge doesn't just come from "joining the roofs." Everything costs more for an L-shaped building than a rectangular building -- from the foundation to the wall framing to the roof trusses to the roof flashing.

Here's something to ponder -- a fact that is more important than the initial cost of construction: a rectangular building without bump-outs will cost less to heat and cool than an L-shaped building, and is therefore more green. For more information, see Green Building for Beginners.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Tue, 07/08/2014 - 06:12

Helpful? 0

Anne,
For the benefits of a bit more articulated house shape, see the "A house for Slow living" Blog on the GBA front page.

Answered by Malcolm Taylor
Posted Tue, 07/08/2014 - 10:24

Other Questions in General questions

Insulating a cathedral ceiling

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by jon cypert | Nov 25, 11

Poly under slab and over sill ?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Jocelyn Smith | Nov 25, 14

Looking at using black sheathing for air sealing /baffles cathedral roof

In Green building techniques | Asked by Geoff Frood | Nov 26, 14

Most sesible heating system for a new house build on Vancouver Island

In Mechanicals | Asked by Blake Klopfenstein | Nov 26, 14

Brands of HRV?

In Mechanicals | Asked by stephen sheehy | Nov 17, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!