GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Repurposing HRV from radon mitigation to building ventilation duty

agurkas | Posted in General Questions on

Previous owner installed HRV to deal with radon. It was ineffective, since shutting it down had only couple 10th effect. I have installed radon mitigation system and knocked it down from 11 to 1.4.

So now I have a lovely Honeywell HR200b1005 200cfm unit collecting dust.

My plan is to keep it in the basement and instead run stale air ducts to kitchen (1st floor) and top of stairs of 2nd floor with fresh air ports running to three bedrooms on 2nd floor distributed by duct I put in insulated conditioned kneewall that connects them.

I realize it will not be perfectly designed system, but house is not exactly well sealed (’55 gut rehab of ’38 Cape) and until I get siding redone and superinsulated, this should do.

Question: for running inside of conditioned space in the house, should I be running insulated 6″ flex duct or is there another option?

Yes, I do know metal ducts are the best, but I am running in spaces where I do need the flexibility.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Apollo,
    Insulated flex duct will work, as long as it is installed conscientiously (without undue sags or extra loops).

Many ventilation duct runs require only 4-inch duct. Check the HRV manufacturer's installation instructions -- these are usually available online -- for more information.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |