GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

My HAVC unit sits outside my bedroom wall. How can I reduce the noise transfer from the unit?

[email protected] | Posted in General Questions on

I am thinking of removing the existing drywall and replacing the insulation with noise reduction insulation and some kind of noise reducing drywall

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Frank,
    If the wall has a window, then one approach is to install a new triple-glazed window. Not cheap, but it's an approach that works to reduce noise transmission.

If the compressor (outdoor unit) is old, another approach is to replace it with a new, quieter model.

2. [email protected] | | #2

I replaced the window with a triple pane window and the compressor unit is new

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Frank,
    OK, you're on the right track (and we think alike). If you are sensitive to noise, you might consider relocating the compressor to a new location that is farther away from your bedroom window.

You might also consider building a custom-made interior insulated shutter out of rigid foam and some type of thin facing like luaun plywood or cloth.

4. charlie_sullivan | | #4

How much space is there between the unit and the wall? You might be able to add a free-standing wall between the compressor and the wall of the house. That approach wouldn't work in a room, but it might work outdoors.

5. [email protected] | | #5

I have 1ft between the unit and the wall. The Freon lines that exit the unit come into the wall. My AC contractor believes that the vibration from the compressor is traveling to these lines and that they are positioned incorrectly in the wall. They are either up against the drywall or the stud. I can feel the vibration on my wall

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |