GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How do I seal the slab edge in my basement around Stego Wrap and foam?

ERIC WHETZEL | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

My basement slab has been poured, and I’m ready to cut back the Stego Wrap and 1/2″ foam at the perimeter of the slab.

Is there a durable, low VOC sealant that would be ideal for filling the gap between the Stego Wrap and basement wall?

After this edge is sealed, is there a good way to dress this area up? Is there a specific kind of moulding that would nicely cover this slab/wall connection without taking up too much space? The only finish on the concrete walls will be primer and paint, no drywall, and for the floor probably only a sealer.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. verygood | | #1

We have dealt with this detail in the past with Prosoco Air Dam; http://www.prosoco.com/products/r-guard-airdam Not sure if it's paintable...

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Eric,
    If you did an excellent job of water management, the molding doesn't need to be pressure-treated. Just pick out a molding profile that you like, and embed it in the caulk. Most types of caulks, including silicone, act as an adhesive as well as a caulk.

By the way, unless you live in a very warm climate, your basement walls need to be insulated. I'm guessing that you installed exterior insulation -- right?

3. Stockwell | | #3

I have seen Eric's blog--he has thick Roxul insulation on the outside of his basement walls.

4. ERIC WHETZEL | | #4

I like the idea of using Air Dam in combination with a small piece of moulding with a simple profile.

We have 5" of Roxul on the exterior side of the foundation, and 4" under the slab.

Thank you for the responses!

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |