GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Does Double-stud include all walls,interior and exterior?

BR9 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

Hello,
I’m interested in finding out more about double-stud green building.
I’ve looked in several sites, but have been unable to find the answers I need.
Would it be possible for you to clarify for me if all walls are included when double-stud homes are built (i.e. : walls between rooms, hallways and kitchen, dining and/or living areas).
I do understand that all exterior or load bearing walls are double -stud (which that makes complete sense), but what puzzles me is the other walls.
I would really appreciate it if you could clarify this for me.
Thank you so much for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

BR9

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-2310254 | | #1

The exterior walls are the double-stud walls, if that is what you are asking. Here is an article that will help to clarify things (also check out the sidebar links).
    https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/articles/dept/musings/how-design-wall

2. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #2

BR9,

Just to clarify: The only advantage of double-stud walls is that they provide more space for insulation and a thermal break. So they are only useful for exterior walls, not other partitions or load-bearing walls.

You do see them used as party-walls in multi-unit buildings to keep the sound transmission to a minimum, but that's a different thing altogether.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |