GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Foam penetrations/ siding attachment

user-714318 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I’m preparing to do a foam-insulated, ventilated, rainscreen retrofit on an old house and have a couple of issues.

First is the fact that the studs have erratic spacing which is often more than 24 inches. I’m maintaining the original 3/4 inch fir cladding inside and out or I would probably just add some additional studs. I’m going to use fiber cement lap siding and have discussed this with at least one supplier engineer who maintains that the exterior fir cladding (to which I have added additional screws to insure its integrity) is sufficient to attach to when a stud is not available. He stressed that plywood or OSB cladding would not be sufficient. So the idea would seem to be to run screws through the siding, the furring, the foam and into the fir cladding and a stud where possible. That seems reasonable. I’m not a contractor and this is my own house so I’m not so concerned with siding warranty issues – just that it would work. Any thoughts?

The second issue that springs to mind (and which was reiterated recently by a contractor friend) is the idea that the screws penetrating the foam seem counterintuitive with respect to my use of the foam as a primary WRB (not to mention the thermal issue). There will be felt behind the foam as a secondary WRB but I can’t help wonder why it isn’t an issue with respect to possible water penetration. I have thought about putting a strip of self-healing flashing over the foam for each row of screws to go through. A more elaborate scheme would seem to be to use some kind of furring that is sufficient to support the siding. It would be minimally screwed through the foam into cladding and studs and then the siding would only be screwed into the furring thus eliminating a large number of penetrations. I’m planing on using 1/2 PT ply strips which obviously would not serve the purpose but some kind of metal channel might serve. Is it the additional cost and effort involved in such a scheme that keeps it from being typically used? Or is it just not a real concern?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Kurt,
    The best way to install lap siding over foam is to first install vertical strapping over the foam to create a rainscreen. This vastly improves drainage and drying, addressing your concern about holes in the WRB. As long as you have a rainscreen and good flashing details, the fastener holes in the WRB are irrelevant.

2. Robert Riversong | | #2

I agree that the 3/4" fir would be an acceptable screw base. I also agree with your concern about thousands of metal fasteners penetrating the themal break.

Far better to screw thicker furring strips and attach the siding to those with fasteners that won't penetrate beyond the furring.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |