GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Best way to design a restaurant basement wall system?

Nathan_Kipnis_FAIA | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I am designing a build-out of a restaurant in an old (c. 1926) vintage building in the Chicago area. Because of space limitations, the prep area will be in the basement.

The basement walls are Chicago common brick with surprisingly little efflorescence. The basement is definitely damp, and we will be putting in a perimeter drain tile sump pump system with dimple sheeting at the joint between the wall and the new slab to allow any seepage to go directly into the drain tile system.

My question is how best to handle the wall design. Heat loss is not too big of an issue but still needs to be addressed. More importantly is the fact that the wall system (and ceiling and floor) must be durable and washable. For the walls and the ceiling it will mean an FRP panel system. We are thinking of using a metal stud wall with Durock covered with the FRP panel. The owner’s rep wants us to use green board in lieu of Durock on the upper half of the wall to limit costs, and he specifically wants the green boards finished face facing into the cavity. He also wants to attempt to seal the walls with UGL – Drylock Masonry Waterproofer. I would think after some period of time the UGL will delaminate from the walls.

I believe we will be able to keep liquid moisture out of the cavity via the dimple sheeting system. But I am concerned about the combination of the cooler underground walls combined with essentially a sealed wall system (but not fully sealed to prevent vapor from getting in) that will have limited ability to dry to the interior due to the FRP panels. FRP panels are plastic coated on their finished side. I could possibly secure grooved closed cell boards to the brick wall to prevent condensation from forming and still allow water to drain downward.

Any help would be appreciated.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Nathan,
    You are raising many issues, and it's hard to address all of them in a brief answer over the Internet. If you have doubts about your project, you may need to consult an architect or an energy consultant who can visit the basement and make site-specific recommendations.

Briefly, I think your preference for Durock over greenboard GWB makes sense. Don't forget to install a layer of insulation on your basement walls -- for example, by spraying a layer of closed-cell spray polyurethane foam on the interior side of your dimple mat.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |