GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Where to insulate a Gambrel

BruceAF | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I am debating on where to insulate and air seal a Gambrel roof detail….any preferences?

Thanks is advance for your input….see attached detail (sorry for poor quality)

-Bruce

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. belmanliving | | #1

If you are building a new home with this style of roof, then either spray foam should be used in the sidewalls at least in the upstairs portion of the house.
    The flat attic should be insulated with cellulose insulation.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Bruce,
    For an existing house, the answer will depend on the framing details and the level of access.

Your thermal and air barriers need to be continuous. Ideally, the R-value of the installed insulation will meet or exceed minimum code requirements. That's tough.

Closed-cell spray foam insulation is certainly one option, but it is not the only option. No matter which type of insulation you choose, you may need to open up a few finished ceilings to get adequate access.

Some of the principles used when insulating homes with kneewalls also apply to homes with gambrel roofs. This article may help you decide where you want to put the thermal barrier: Two Ways to Insulate Attic Kneewalls.

Gambrel roofs are very difficult to insulate well. Good luck.

3. BruceAF | | #3

Hi Martin - I should have been more clear..this is new construction. We have not yet framed this area. I understand the continuous air barrier. I can 'draw the line' of the air barrier thru the roof line or the interior wall. The insulation material has yet to be determined by presumable CC would be used at the roof. If the wall is chosen might be cellulose. A layer of plywood or other material would be attached to the rear of the wall.

See drawing below....the blue line would be Option 2 for the insulation line and air barrier. Red line is option 1.

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Bruce,
    Option 2 (following the roof line) is preferable to Option 1 (following plumb-and-level right angles), for the reasons given in the article I linked to (Two Ways to Insulate Attic Kneewalls).

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |