GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Insulating brick from the exterior

cwc09 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I am renovating an end-of-group brick rowhome in Maryland. The home was built in 1914 and has 8″ masonry load bearing walls. The owner is interested in exposing the old masonry walls on all (3) exterior sides of the building. To do this I will have to insulate from the exterior and install new cladding. I am not confident in installing 4″ or so of rigid insulation on the old masonry, mostly due to cost/ performance of fasteners that long into the old masonry. The rainscreen and new cladding will also be relying on the same type of fastener.
Question #1: Is there a good way to fasten all of the new exterior layers to old brick? I am ready to ditch this option for the one below:
Option 2: I am thinking about pouring a small footer and framing a new 2×6 wall outside of the existing brick exterior. The wall would be held off the wall 2 inches and tied in at 4′ intervals. I could then use a number of different insulation options (leaning toward cellulose), sheath, rainscreen and clad with more confidence in fastening.(This does mean I would have to extend the roof also).
Does this sound like a better option? Insulation type recommendations? Plenty of details to consider.
I appreciate any feedback,

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Charles,
    This is a classic applications for EIFS (exterior insulation and finish system). EIFS combines a thick layer of exterior rigid foam with synthetic stucco.

Call up a local EIFS contractor. The EIFS contractor will be responsible for all of the fastening details, and will be able to provide you a warranty so you don't have to worry.

2. kevin_in_denver | | #2

Martin's suggestion is a good way to transfer the fastening problem to an experienced pro.

If you are stuck in a DIY situation, you can attach 1x3 furring strips quickly with a combination of PL-400 and ramset pins. The pins may work better in the masonry joint than in the brick. Shim as required.

Polyisocyanurate is the best exterior insulation for the wall above grade. XPS is recommended below grade.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |