GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Looking for diagram showing how to detail felt or housewrap under 1.5″ foil faced foam with window sill extension

mel2nic | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

Hi, Hoping you can direct me to a good diagram showing how to detail wall and outie flanged window particularly for exterior foam insulation. We are set to begin within a few days and I am worried it won’t be done correctly. It is 2×6 wall 24″oc with 2×8 window box extension. The 1 1/2 foam will go over osb covered with #15felt (OK?) Vinyl siding (no furring?). We are in climate zone 5. I have poured over 100’s of articles and cannot seem to find how to detail the felt (or other product) correctly when the window is built out. The foil face foam will be drainage plane and flashing should be covered over that if I am following everything correctly. Can you assist please?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Mel,
    Your wish is my command. GBA has those details in our detail library. Here are the links:

Outie window, 1 1/2 inch rigid foam, sill detail

Outie window, 1 1/2 inch rigid foam, jamb detail

Outie window, 1 1/2 inch rigid foam, head detail

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |