GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Metal roof transition between 2 slopes

user-2423385 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I have an addition with a roof that transitions on two sides from 30 degrees to 16 degrees. The 30 degree roof is about 8′ long on both sides and the 16 degree porch roofs that connect on each side are approx. 9′.

I can find gambrel break trim from suppliers but they are all only 10′ long and I need 14′. This doesn’t seem like a good place to be overlapping the breaks or am I wrong?

I could overlap the roofing material but that would only give me a couple inches and I’m not comfortable with that…any ideas?

Thanks much!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #1

Geoffrey, The great majority of metal roofs are longer than the standard ten foot length that trim comes in. Whether it is gambrel, side wall, parapet, cap or any of the many other trim conditions - the overwhelming majority end up having to be joined. There are two common way to do this and roofers use them both fairly equally. The trim can be overlapped and kept watertight by several lines of caulking or a standing seam joint can be bent on site.

In much the same way as how when you buy a new car you begin to notice similar ones all around you, now you are aware of roofing details I'll bet you will see a dozen examples of trim joints on buildings tomorrow. It isn't something to worry about.

2. user-2423385 | | #2

Cool thanks ;)

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |