Drywall and adobe

In New Mexico, adobe construction is very common. Having grown up in one I know the ups and downs of it. I have lived the last few years in a frame house and have come to understand their ups and downs as well. What I want to know is if you can afford the cost is it possible to build an adobe house and then construct frame walls within.

Some might ask why I would go to that kind of expense. Hanging a picture in an adobe house is not something you can do on a whim. Also running heating and cooling ducts is a trial in futility (there is a reason the older houses have a wood stove in every room). Running electrical wires means cutting into the bricks.

The plus side is when you have an adobe house fire worries are almost non-existent. Heating and cooling is inexpensive.

What I want to do is see if you combine the two worlds into one.

Asked by Ray Driver
Edited Wed, 12/11/2013 - 07:58

1.

Ray,
No reason why not -- if you don't mind the loss of interior floor area and the expense.