GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Housewrap with rigid insulation

cjm5199 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I am in the process of building a home with 3/8 zip sheathing, with two layers of rigid poly iso on the exterior of the sheathing. I have read “Musings of an Energy Nerd – How to Install Rigid Foam Sheathing and it discussed the placement of the WRB. I have installed windows as “outies.” Two questions 1. Do I need a house wrap product on the exterior of the foam or will the zip sheathing suffice? 2. If I do need a house wrap how are people installing it over rigid foam? Fastening to the exterior of the vertical furring strips or sandwiching between the furring strips and the foam board?

Thanks for your help!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Christopher,
    Every house needs a water-resistive barrier (WRB). In your case, you can choose to make the Zip sheathing the WRB, or (if you prefer) you can add housewrap and the housewrap can be your WRB. Either way will work, but you need to know which layer is your WRB -- because all of your flashing has to be integrated with your WRB.

For more information on this issue, see All About Water-Resistive Barriers.

Although Zip sheathing can work as a WRB, some people prefer to add housewrap, since it is easier to integrate housewrap with your flashing than to integrate Zip sheathing with your flashing. (Housewrap can be lapped).

If you want to include housewrap, you have to decide where to put it. See this article: Where Does the Housewrap Go?

Q. "If I do need a housewrap, how are people installing it over rigid foam? Fastening to the exterior of the vertical furring strips or sandwiching between the furring strips and the foam board?"

A. Sandwiching it between the furring strips and the foam board.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |